Making Local Economic Development Work for Small Firms: Evaluation of Participatory Appraisal for Competitive Advantage in Serbia
This microREPORT analyzes a recent Local Economic Development (LED) exercise in central Serbia and attempts to provide answers to the following set of questions important to AMAP research:
- What approaches to LED successfully integrate micro and small enterprises (MSE) into productive markets?
- Can the methodology used in the central Serbia experiment stimulate LED and strengthen the role of MSE’s in markets?
- What modifications would be needed for PACA to work better for small firms?
- How can LED and value-chain development be combined to maximize benefits for small firms?
- What additional research and experimentation is needed to improve the tool set now available for integrating MSE's into local economic development strategies?