Contract Opportunity: Blended Finance Advisor
Term: 12 months, May 2019 - April 2020 (Est. approx. 20-30 hours/week)
The Shell Foundation is seeking an individual or consultancy firm (‘the Consultant’) to provide advisory support and matchmaking services to investment teams developing financial products and facilities that increase access to capital for the off-grid energy sector. These financial instruments, often structured as blended finance, act as bridge vehicles between the energy access market and traditional institutional investors.
This Consultant will:
- increase the availability of appropriate, affordable capital for the off-grid energy sector, through capitalizing new and existing facilities
- expand the diversity of product offerings (financing source, type, and stage) and balance of concessional/commercial capital currently available to the market.
The Consultant will work with the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development (SOGE), a partnership initiative led by USAID, DFID, Shell Foundation, Power Africa, and the African Development Bank. This role will include work with other SOGE partners such as the Global Impact Investment Network and the Global Off-Grid Lighting Association in order to:
- Identify new needs and opportunities for creating investment opportunities
- Support the structuring and financing of new and existing vehicles
- Develop and execute programming relating to blended finance education and networking opportunities for investors. The aim is to optimally position engaged financiers in the market (based on available capital type, risk/return profile and target markets)
The Contractor will be expected to address key industry needs within a 12-month period. It is expected that they will accomplish the following:
- Landscape the existing investment facilities available for energy access enterprises and investors and identifying current market gaps
- Coordinate pipeline for upcoming and existing facilities that receive SOGE partners’ financial support (e.g. AfDB Off-Grid Energy Fund, SIMA Funds, Solar Frontier Capital, responsAbility Clean Power Fund, etc.), with the aim of ensuring that finance flows throughout the market and to avoid concentration of capital into a select few of the larger, established companies
- Work to ensure that existing facilities are being maximised to address identified market gaps
- Identify new sources of capital or support to enhance the products, e.g. through additional guarantees or providers of first loss investment