5.5.2. PSD-IAI Assessments
Conducting a good impact assessment of a value chain project involves the following steps (the steps assume two research rounds—a baseline and follow-up):
- Select the Project(s) to be Assessed.
- Conduct an Evaluability Assessment.
- Prepare a Research Plan.
- Contract and Staff the Impact Assessment.
- Carry out the Field Research and Analyze its Results.
- Disseminate the Impact Assessment Findings.
The Private Sector Development Impact Assessment Initiative (PSD-IAI) team is conducting a series of impact assessments on four USAID private sector development projects to demonstrate and refine this approach to impact assessment:
- Brazil: Micro and Small Enterprise Trade-Led Growth Program
- India: Growth-oriented Micro-Enterprise Development (GMED) Program
- Kenya: Kenya BDS and Kenya Horticultural Development Programs
- Zambia: PROFIT Program
Another impact assessment of the USAID-funded Development of a BDS Market in Rural Himalayas project was conducted in 2007.