This post features a presentation by Dr. Eric Hyman from the USAID/Economic Growth, Education, and Environment Bureau.
What Are REDD and REDD+?
•Purpose: Create financial value for carbon stored in forests in developing countries
–Donor and multilateral development bank results-based funding
–Market-based mechanisms allowing transfer of mitigation outcomes (many developed countries supported to have option for forest carbon offsets)
•REDD: Reducing GHG Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation
•REDD+: REDD plus
– Conservation of forest carbon stocks
– Sustainable management of forests
– Enhancement of forest carbon stocks
• Social benefits viewed as co-benefits
– Better governance, new livelihood options, land tenure, indigenous peoples rights
– May also be supported by Cancun, World Bank, or Green Climate Fund safeguards, where applicable