Job Opportunity: Program Officer (Market Systems Specialist)
The USAID Bureau for Food Security (BFS) leads the Agency’s resilience and food security efforts and the coordination and implementation of the U.S. Government Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS) through the U.S. Government’s Feed the Future (FTF) initiative to combat global hunger, poverty, and malnutrition. With an annual initiative budget of roughly $1 billion, BFS has overall responsibility for strategic planning, funding, design, implementation, oversight, and evaluation of all programs and projects that contribute to the GFSS. This position is located in the Office of Markets, Partnership, and Innovation (MPI).
Agency: U.S. Agency for International Development
Organization: Bureau for Food Security (BFS), Office of Markets, Partnership, and Innovation (MPI)
Location of Position: Washington, DC
Open Period: Feb 11 - Feb 24, 2020
Appointment Type: This is an excepted service, time-limited appointment that is not-to-exceed five (5) years
Salary: (USD) $93,695
Description of Position:
The incumbent will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
● Provides technical assistance to Feed the Future and USAID field missions on topics related to agricultural market systems development, including agricultural trade, grades and standards, market information systems, managing market risks, agricultural technology commercialization, and the agribusiness enabling environment. Identifies economic issues and participates in design, researchable question development, data collection and analysis, message development, and report writing in support of the Global Food Security Strategy implementation.
● In collaboration with cross-office teams, develops recommendations and prepares technical products that provide factual and analytical information in a clear format that meets the needs of diverse audiences.
● Plans, organizes, manages and evaluates technically complex projects related to agricultural economic topics.
● Curates technical content in support of strategic knowledge management. ● Communicates effectively in written and oral formats; develops concise, informative reports, briefing materials, and talking points on complex subjects, with short lead times. Reviews draft reports to ensure accuracy, precision, and clarity of presentation of economic issues and data.
● Engages concerned USAID Mission staff at the activity design stage, and on a regular basis throughout program implementation for all field and or centrally-managed BFS activity support mechanisms to ensure that these activities are well-aligned with the Mission's development priorities and strategies.
● Facilitates collaboration between partners and works collaboratively with representatives of different types of institutions, including government, universities, and the private sector.
● Coordinates among interagency technical experts and donor counterparts to align resources and agendas around Global Food Security Strategy objectives.
● Interacts and speaks authoritatively at Agency and technical levels with a wide range of senior technical experts in public and private meetings.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
Application submissions are required by 11:59 pm (EST), February 24th, 2020.
The full job description and application information is available online through USAID.gov.